One Nation Under God
I have felt patriotic at different points in my life. I remember one of those times was a trip home to Jackson from Murfreesboro right after September 11th. I remember seeing so many flags on people's cars and trucks and everyone being nice to everyone on the road. However, the memory that has stayed with me all this time is of an older man standing on one of the bridges on I-40. He had draped massive flags on both sides of the bridge and was waving a sign to everyone that read “God Bless America!” I remember everyone slowing down on the interstate and honking and waving at him. He must have been out there all day.

I felt so invigorated to be an American and a Christian. I was feeling patriotic and started to read through the lines of our flag. Like most I recited the Pledge of Allegiance everyday at school as I was growing up, but I never understood the meaning of the words that I was saying. Do you remember the words to the Pledge?
I, Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

One Nation under God – What a wonderful world we would live in if we truly lived in one nation under God? During this time, I also remember listening to the words of "God Bless America" and feeling so patriotic. I take it for granted that I live in United States and that I have many freedoms that others do not. So today, I am going to thank God for my freedom and for all those who have suffered to give me my liberties. I will also pray for those who are persecuted and who do not have the basic freedoms that we have in America.

p.s. Kris and I have a favorite film scene that involves fireworks. The finale of Meet Joe Black has one the greatest displays of fireworks. My personal favorite is the gold dust fireworks. So enjoy the fireworks and some Brad Pitt.

No comments:
Post a Comment