Thoughts are Disappearing...
When I heard about the VA Tech Massacre, I said prayers for all of the families that are finding out that their children are among the dead. Then I thought about what the students must have felt in their final moments. Were they crying? Were they praying? Then I remembered God was there with them. No matter how bad or how violent, God is there and He loves us. We are not alone.
It also brought me to another thought that I actually had the other night. We are all familiar with Anne Frank's Diary. I think we all have read the book or watched the movie. I was thinking about documents that we leave behind. In Anne Frank's case, she never thought her private diary would one day be published and on every middle school student's summer must reading list. In this day and age, would such a diary be preserved? We all know how instantaneous and public our private thoughts are, but do they remain. Will someone preserve our documents for future generations to learn from? Our hieroglyphs are constantly changing and evolving. I doubt anyone is printing off pages of his or her myspace page to preserve an historic document. Can you imagine a History class in 50 years? “Class, please sign on to historicrecord.com and click on 9/11.” I think the more we become a technological dependent generation we are eliminating our historic integrity. I know I can only go back 26 years in time, but "in my day" I had to look up every report subject in one of the 32 volume set of Encyclopedia Britannicas that we had in our home library. I remember when the concept of Encarta Encyclopedia CDs was the "latest" technology. Then, the Internet was created and I remember being taught that the Internet was not a "reliable" source and to always back up my sources with a "book."
So I guess in my thought process, there are many cons to becoming a Tekkie generation. Then I thought of VA Tech Massacre. Students were informed by email and cell phone texts. Facebook groups were immediately created so information about loved ones could easily be shared. Camera phones have made average citizens more informative than the local anchor. We are definitely in the 'Information Age,' but can our information remain after we are gone. This is what's in my head. Please pray for all of those affected by today’s tragic events.
Random: A 2007 Encyclopedia Britannica Print Set Suite is on sale for $1,395.00 in case you wanted to know.

It also brought me to another thought that I actually had the other night. We are all familiar with Anne Frank's Diary. I think we all have read the book or watched the movie. I was thinking about documents that we leave behind. In Anne Frank's case, she never thought her private diary would one day be published and on every middle school student's summer must reading list. In this day and age, would such a diary be preserved? We all know how instantaneous and public our private thoughts are, but do they remain. Will someone preserve our documents for future generations to learn from? Our hieroglyphs are constantly changing and evolving. I doubt anyone is printing off pages of his or her myspace page to preserve an historic document. Can you imagine a History class in 50 years? “Class, please sign on to historicrecord.com and click on 9/11.” I think the more we become a technological dependent generation we are eliminating our historic integrity. I know I can only go back 26 years in time, but "in my day" I had to look up every report subject in one of the 32 volume set of Encyclopedia Britannicas that we had in our home library. I remember when the concept of Encarta Encyclopedia CDs was the "latest" technology. Then, the Internet was created and I remember being taught that the Internet was not a "reliable" source and to always back up my sources with a "book."
So I guess in my thought process, there are many cons to becoming a Tekkie generation. Then I thought of VA Tech Massacre. Students were informed by email and cell phone texts. Facebook groups were immediately created so information about loved ones could easily be shared. Camera phones have made average citizens more informative than the local anchor. We are definitely in the 'Information Age,' but can our information remain after we are gone. This is what's in my head. Please pray for all of those affected by today’s tragic events.
Random: A 2007 Encyclopedia Britannica Print Set Suite is on sale for $1,395.00 in case you wanted to know.

"Comfort ye, my people; speak ye peace, thus saith our God. Comfort those who sit in darkness, mourning 'neath their sorrow's load. For the glory of the Lord now o'er earth is shed abroad; and all flesh shall see the token that His word is never broken." Isaiah 40:1-8

No comments:
Post a Comment