Shine Your Light

This past weekend, Kris and I went to see Ocean’s 13. We arrived at the theater and they were playing the Wicked Soundtrack on the speakers, which automatically puts a smile on my face. So we grabbed a Diet Coke and headed to the back of the theater. We were immediately told to wait until they have finished cleaning the theater. We waited and waited. While we were standing there, a couple in front of us asked the attendant if she had seen Ocean’s 13. She looked at them as if it offended her. She said, “Nope, I don’t care for those movies. I heard it wasn’t that great anyway.” (SMACK, SMACK of her gum) Seriously, I think management might want to retrain their attendants on the basics of sales and customer service.

When we were told that we could go in, everyone who was waiting herded in a group and started to their way to Theater Number 9. We opened the door and it was pitch black. We kept walking because we could sense everyone was still moving. Then when we got to the end of the hall, we bumped into everyone. They forgot to bring the house lights back on after the last showing. So there we are, all trying to make our way in the darkness. I reached for my cell phone to use as an instant flashlight. I looked around and others had started to do the same. It was still hard to find our way to available seats. I have never seen it so dark in a theater. I heard the occasional “oops,” “sorry” and “where are you?” Then in the midst of chaos, the sound of a large combo of popcorn, candy, and sodas plunging to the ground and hitting every step on the way down. I was sitting there imagining what it looked like. I imagined all of the greasy butter seeping between the seats and the soda becoming sticky to anyone who steps in the puddle.

Eventually, everyone was finding their seats with the help of the people with cell phones. Once I found my seat, I took my phone and shined it to the steps for the next person. I looked around and everyone was helping each other. It was refreshing to see because we all could have sat there while the others, who were without cell phones, were struggling to find their seats. I know it's corny, but it reminded me of all the support that Kris and I have received over the past year. We have been extremely blessed to have a great support group around us while we struggled with our life changes. We are so grateful for the many “lights” in our lives that showed us the way with their wisdom and love. It never ceases to amaze me how we are all innately kind to those in need, but we just have to put a little effort into it. You never know who will benefit from your “glow.”



Side Note: We give Ocean’s 13 a thumb’s up! It got back to basics, but it was somewhat slow at parts. We recommend it to anyone who liked the first one to go see it.

No comments: