A Case of the Mondays?



"Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?" Seriously… I rushed to Atlanta and I got barely any sleep on Sunday. Woke up at 6:45 AM EST, because the wake-up call never happened. (I should have listened to Jerry Seinfeld) I rush to get ready then ran to the morning shuttle. So here I am out of breath and making a great first impression on my new classmates. We get to the Corporate Headquarters of Randstad, the Mecca of the catchy phrases and business practices that I have been training on over the past month and half in Murfreesboro.

The building looks nice from the outside and everyone walking in has a smile on their faces so I was impressed at first. We herded in and went to elevator. Down we go to the basement. Hmm… I was thinking are they leading us into a padded jail cell and we are not fed unless we can recite the core values? I was wrong of course, but it was in a room in the far back with no windows and no visible exits.

I looked around and saw people from all walks of life. They were all smiling and young! In my preparation for the training week, I had imagined a board room of 30 people who were from the southern regions and about 40 – 50 year of age. I thought I was going to be the greenhorn of the group not the Mama Bear. Everyone was interesting though. They all were from exciting locations around the US. There were two from DC, three from California, three from Florida, two from Georgia, one from Massachusetts and one from Maryland (and of course little ole me from Tennessee!) I was anticipating more from the south or something, but it was cool.

So we started the “getting to know you” portion of the training. It still amazes me that every training situation that I have ever participated in always follows the same format. So the day was dragging on and my head started pulsating. Shortly thereafter, a full blown headache erupted and I found myself scrambling to find some Aleve or a hammer. Of course if you know me, I travel with a bottle of Aleve at all times. However in my rush I left it in my car from the night before.

So, here I was trying to commit to memory all of this new information and learning everyone’s name, while dying of pain on the inside. As soon as the class was over, I darted for the shuttle. I wanted to get to my room as quickly as I could manage. However, everyone in class wanted to do their homework, I mean “after hours work” in the hotel lounge during Happy Hour. I tried to stay with the group, but was not feeling it. I managed to stay for about 30 minutes. Then I couldn’t even hear anything because of the ringing in my ears. I went back to my room took a handful of Aleve and passed out. So if there was ever a case of the Mondays…it was today!

(I wrote this down so when I found a computer I could post it up)

No comments: